Sunday, March 18, 2012

The 300 Challenge [Ab & Core Workout]

I got this my another blog, but I am going to start this challenge tomorrow!

I will change my life this year!!!

 

The 300 Challenge [Ab & Core Workout]

  • the300


  • I found this in Runner’s World June issue. These are the 3 rules that should never be broken by runners.
    GO TO SLEEP. Athletes who get ten hours of zzz’s per night perform better than those who sleep less. “An extra hour or two of sleep a night a few weeks before a big event can make a big difference,” says Napa Valley Marathon winner Peter Gilmore.
    EAT GOOD FOOD. Anthony Famglietti, an Olympian steeplechaser and former junk-foodie, took months to improve his diet. “I assumed you were supposed to feel bad after hard workouts,” he says. “Most of that came from a bad diet.”
    BUILD YOUR CORE. To improve his running economy, Gilmore does core work five to six days a week. “When I do it, I feel normal.” he says. “When I don’t, my form gets sloppy, my back gets tight, and I feel a little wobbly and inefficient.”
    So that’s what this challenge is all about – since I have a good handle on one and two, I’m working on three: building my core.
    Why?
    Your core is the most important part of your body. Core exercises should be a part of any well-rounded fitness routine. Your bodies core is the area around your trunk and pelvis. When you have good core stability, you have better balance and a much lower risk of injury, since your lower back, hips, abdomen and pelvis are working in unison and harmony. They are different then your superficial abdominals – those “6-pack abs” don’t always mean strength and stability!
    This is an abdominal and core routine. We want to become sexier, yes, but we need to become more stable, too, to help prevent future injuries. A strong core also helps runners maintain stronger form, therefore allowing them to runfaster, harder and longer.
    These are some of, not all of the exercises from P90X Ab Ripper X and some of my own variations! I had great success with this quick routine.
    I want to warn you - this is pretty tough! If you need to take a break, that’s okay! You’ll soon see how fast your body build and recovers, as these movesdo get easier!
    You can do this routine anytime, before or after your workout. I would recommend before, when you’re fresh before your cardio or the rest of your routine. If you’re working on really getting results, why would you save these muscle groups for last when you’re tired already from working out?
    Do 25 repetitions of each move. Keep the pace comfortable but brisk, you want to feel the burn. It should take 15 minutes. Your abdominals, unlike other muscle groups, need higher reps before they start responding.
    Let’s get started.
    DSC05535
    In-N-Outs. Just like it sounds. Sit on the floor with your hands at your sides. Raise feet off the ground and bring knees to your chest. (See above.)
    DSC05536
    Straighten legs out (see above), hold for a beat, and bring your knees back into your chest. This is one repetition. Repeat 25 times. For a bit more challenge, raise your hands above your head.
    DSC05537
    Bicycles. Sitting in the same position as the In-N-Out, move legs in a wide, circular motion as if pedaling a bike. 1 revolution counts as one rep. Repeat 25 times.
    Reverse Bicycles. Same as above, but instead of pedaling forward, petal backward. 1 revolution counts as one rep. Repeat 25 times. To increase difficulty on the Bicycle, raise arms straight overhead.
    DSC05539
    Crunchy Frog. Same position and movement as In-N-Out, only your hands are OFF the floor and wrap around your knees (without grabbing or touching your knees) when your knees are at your chest. (See above.) When you extend your legs back out, arms should be stretch out as sides, parallel to ground. (See below.)
    DSC05540
    This counts as one rep. Repeat 25 times. (Sorry for the blurry photo.)
    DSC05542
    Cross-Leg/Wide Leg Sit-Ups. Lie flat on your back with legs wide, in a V.(See Above)
    DSC05543
    Place one hand behind your head and bring your torso up to perform a standard sit-up movement (see above.) Try to keep your legs on the floor.With one arm straight, (see above) try to go straight UP, instead of just over your legs. Sit-Up straight, and then cross your straight arm over to touch your opposite leg. (See below.)
    DSC05544
    And slowly lay back down. That’s one repetition. On the next repetition, switch arms and cross over to the other side. Repeat these 25 times, alternating sides. If you’re unable to keep your legs anchored, use dumbbells to help anchor your lower body.
    DSC05545
    Scissors. Life flat on your back, extending one leg towards the ceiling, and lifting the opposite leg off the floor just a few inches. Flex your feet.
    DSC05547
    Alternate legs in a scissor motion, hold each switch for three seconds. Keep your skyward leg as straight as you can! Repeat these 25 times.
    Hip Butt Ups. Lie on your back, open your hips and bend your legs so that the bottom of your feet are touching. (see below.)
    DSC05548
    I have no idea why my eyes are closed. In pure abdominal bliss, apparently.
    DSC05550
    With your arms at your sides, rock your hips, lift your pelvis and drive your feet directly up towards the ceiling. When lowering back down, do not let your legs touch the ground. Repeat 25 times.
    DSC05553
    Heels to the Heavens. Lying on your back, extend legs straight up, with arms at your sides. Lift your butt off the floor (see below.) When raising feet, imagine touching the ceiling with the balls of your feet. Keep your feet very flexed. Be sure to lift the legs straight up at 90 degrees, and not towards your head. Focus on maintaining straight legs.
    DSC05556
    Repeat this motion 25 times.
    Roll-Up V-Ups. Lie flat on your back with legs straight out, and arms extended overhead. (see below.)
    DSC05559
    Bring your body up as if doing a standard sit-up, touching hands to toes. (see below.)
    DSC05561
    Slowly, lower your torso towards the floor, simutaneously bringing your legs up off the ground at about 45 degrees. (below)
    DSC05562
    Now, bring your torso back up and reach for your toes while your legs are in the air! (below) Imagine creating a jackknife position with your body. Your legs and hands should actually get closer then the below photo.
    DSC05563
    Lower your entire body to the floor and repeat 25 times.
    Leg Climbers. Lie on your back with one leg bent, foot flat on the floor. The other leg should be out about 45 degrees.
    DSC05569
    You want to climb this extended leg, by first grabbing your thigh, then your knee, (see above) then your calf, then your toe. That’s the easy version. I do a two-touch. I just grab onto the inside of my knee, and then continue using my abs to pull me up. (below) You don’t want that extended leg to move around too much, keep it on the same plane the whole time. It will want to move as you crunch up. Fight it!
    DSC05568
    Repeat 12 times on one side, then switch and repeat 12 on the opposite side.
    Kayakers. You’re almost done! Seated, clasp your hands together and raise your feet out, 4-6 inches off the floor. You may need to bend them to make this easier. Twist your upper torso from side to side, touching your knuckles on each side. Do these fast, like your kayaking a fast river. Do 50. If you can’t do 50, do 40. If you can’t do 40, do 30. You will be able to do 50 one day!
    DSC05572
    DSC05573
    Ahhh! You just completed (if you did 50 kayakers) 300 abdominal exercises! You’re on your way to a strong and svelte core!
    Now, stretch it out!
    Cobra Stretch. Lie flat on your stomach and raise your upper body off the floor, supported by your arms. Your thighs should be resting on the floor.
    Childs Pose. Sitting in your knees, fold you body over your legs and relax head and arms on the floor.
    I did these today, so I’ll update you in 30 days to let you know how my abs & core strength are coming! Before & After pictures! If you’re interested in Challenging yourself, shoot me a comment and let me know! Take a before picture for yourself if you like, if you’d like to send the results to me in 30 days, I’d love to share your progress on the blog!
    A few pointers – Superficial Abdominals are 90% diet. If you’re eating cleanly and healthily, you’re going to see results in a week. But remember, we can still build plenty of muscle, and it can still be covered by a layer of adipose tissueaka fat. Thats why there is no such thing as spot toning.
    Let me know if you have any questions! Whoo, I’m excited to get some abs on!

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This was exactly what I was looking for and the pictures help tremendously! I am going to start this tonight. I started eating cleaner last week. No sugar, only water to drink with lemon/lime, whole wheat, limiting my calories. I'm excited to see the results in a month! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The illustrations are very helpful ! Thank you :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your just copying p90X. Dumb. Way to be original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't care if it copies P90X cuz I don't have it. I'm excited to try and I will leave a shoutout for ya! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if you follow Pinterest or not but your "The 300" work out is a big hit. If you don't know how pinterest works you have boards you display thing you like, you visit other people with the same likes and can pin the items on there boards to yours. So someone found your work out and put it on there board. I know 15 people pinned it on there boards from the one I saw your work out on. More than like that's an average number because some people have more follower than others or 15x15x15x15 and so your a hit on pinterest just thought you should know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this on pinterest and I'm starting tomorrow..... along with a nice cardio and a better diet I should have a fabulous core in no time!! Thanks for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I needed this, dying to have some flat abs :) thanks for the pics they help tremendously for correct posture..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm starting this today!!!! the pics are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really looks like is will help me to get down where I want to be. I need to trim the belly fat while toning my butt and thighs!!! I will try this

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is P90X and it's a great workout. But even the creator (Tony Horton) says not to do them every day. Muscles need recovery time too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is P90X at least give them some credit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great; she does give credit a
      To P90X before she introduces the exercises.

      Delete